Thank you for taking the time to sit down and talk with me tonight. Can you begin by telling me a little bit about yourself?
Hi and thanks for having me! I’m M.L. Spencer, author of the epic fantasy series The Rhenwars Saga. I am passionately in love with fantasy as well as science! I teach biology at the high school I graduated from.
- Have you always wanted to be an author?
Yes. I started writing as soon as I could pick up a pencil. I wrote my first manuscript at thirteen.
- What inspired you to write your first book?
I was always living in a fantasy world. I lived in an orange grove and made the whole place into a land complete with maps, towns, rivers, and populations. It even had its own currency, language, and religion!
- What is the name of your latest novel?
- How did you come up with the concept for your novel?
I wanted to write a serious that was less about good versus evil and more about the exploration of differing moral ethics.
- Who is your favorite character and why?
In Darkstorm, my favorite character is Quin. I love him because he is a flawed, sarcastic, self-deprecating addict that has a heart of gold but can’t seem to do anything right. Coming up with his dialogue was some of the best times of my life.
- Who is your least favorite character and why?
My least favorite character to write is Arden Hannah. Getting into her point of view makes me feel soiled inside. I literally feel like I need a bath!
- Which character do you relate to the most and why?
Probably Quin. I, too, have had my own struggles with addiction, so there’s a lot of myself in him.
- Is there a certain message (s) that you desire your readers to grasp?
There is. But I’m going to keep that one under my hat, for now.
- What books have influenced you the most? Why?
Wow. That’s hard. I was born and raised on fantasy fiction. I think I could best describe my work as an amalgamation of Frank Herbert, Stephen King, and Robert Jordan.
- What author would you love to have a conversation with?
Patrick Rothfuss. Want to pick that man’s beautiful brain.
- Any future projects you would like to talk about?
Working on book 4!
- If you could start again, is there anything you would change in your latest book?
I don’t think so. I had a pretty good idea where I wanted to go with this series from the very beginning and, for the most part, it’s just taken me there. I feel like I’m riding a tall ship at full sail.
- Is there a short excerpt of your current book that you would like to share?
He shuddered at the sound of that voice. It was vilely seductive, gliding like soft velvet down the length of his nerves. Braden kept his eyes squeezed closed, so loathe was he to gaze upon that face.
He could feel her moving toward him across the cell. Her hands brushed against his skin, a silken caress as she slid her arms around his torso. With gentle pressure, she compelled him to his feet. He stood, swaying, naked from the waist up, arms chained behind his back. His breath still came in gasps.
“It doesn’t have to be this way,” she whispered gently in his ear as her soft fingertips stroked the skin of his back. “You can still choose to make a difference. Think of the lives you would be saving. It’s the right thing to do.”
His eyes shot open, glaring his contempt at her.
“Don’t lecture me on morals, woman,” he grated. “You have no idea what they are.”
- Do you have any advice for up and coming authors?
Yes. Keep writing. Don’t give up. Every word brings you one step closer to success, even if it’s hard to see light when you’re standing in the dark.
- Do you have any links that you would like to share?
Thank you for taking the time to sit down and chat with me, M.L. Spencer. I am eagerly awaiting your next novel. As you know, you are one of my favorite Epic Fantasy authors. Great Success!